locked Re: Southern Railway History

George Eichelberger

As info…

Before the unbound copies of the “History” were given to SRHA, the decision was vetted and approved by the NS Law Dept. In particular, one of the Lawyers, Mr. Jim Squires, was instrumental in approving the decision. I am certain part of that decision was based on NS’ belief that SRHA was a credible organization and the material would be dealt with appropriately.

Southern historians and modelers today owe a lot of “thanks” to NS executives such as Jim Squires, (SRHA member) Wick Moorman and others for allowing SRHA to acquire so many important historical documents. As far as we have been able to determine, SRHA is the ONLY historical group with such a large collection of Executive, Engineering and Mechanical Department files from “their” railroad.

(Now for the bad news!)
At the same time Bill Schafer and I were using the 30 days we were given to remove personal or sensitive corporate information from the Presidents’ files to be shredded, at least a half-dozen dumpster loads of Operating Dept. material from other floors of the 175 Spring St building were lost. Our decision was not easy! As both Bill and I were “NS officers”, we had to do the work ourselves. There simply was not time for us to obtain and preserve both collections.

The reason for the rush? To make space in the Spring Street buildings before the Conrail takeover date.

The quality and generosity of NS in all of this cannot be overstated! I asked NS Intermodal if they would let SRHA use a trailer to move the collection to Chattanooga.They not only spotted a trailer at the 175 building loading dock, they moved it to Chattanooga for us.

Because of Norfolk Southern, the “Green Light” still shines.

Ike

CC Mr. Bill Schafer

On Aug 23, 2021, at 3:18 PM, Robert Hanson via groups.io <RHanson669@...> wrote:

At one time in the early 1970's I asked the University of Georgia Libraries to search for a copy that they could borrow in inter-library library loan that I could use and they could not find a single copy in any public library in about sever southeastern states.

I later acquired a copy through a trade and when, in the 1990's, the NS archives found out that I had a copy, they were very nervous about that and were more than a little interested in how I had acquired it.  They were very antsy about any copies being in other-than-corporate hands.

Given that attitude, I was totally amazed that they released any of the copies, let alone all that they had.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA

-----Original Message-----
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Aug 23, 2021 3:06 pm
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Southern Railway History

David:

Note the attached….

If Fairfax Harrison was not willing to send the “LOC” a copy of the “History, you know they were serious about not letting it get out!

Ike

<1926-5-12 FH to LOC re request for SR History.jpeg>

On Aug 23, 2021, at 1:07 PM, David Carpenter via groups.io <dcarp@...> wrote:

Strange that the letter states “never intended for publication.” I used to go to the North Carolina Collection in the Louis Round Wilson Library in Chapel Hill in the early 70’s and a person wearing white gloves would go retrieve this book for me to sit and read.. It was well-worn with brown leather wraps. I was stunned when I saw the set laying on the SRHA table at a train show in Winston-Salem 20-30 years ago it seems! Best $100 bill I spent that year! Thanks to whoever decided to bind them!!!!!

Others are selling entire collections of their magazines back issues for $99-$129 roughly it seems. I agree with others that is the market. Maybe 10% off with a new membership even.

David

<1926-5-12 FH to LOC re request for SR History.jpeg>

Join main@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.