locked Re: Southern Railway History

aramsay18

Hello all

As noted by one or two prior emails, courtesy of Google Books and University of Michigan, a complete and free PDF copy of "A History of the Legal Development of the Railroad System of Southern Railway Company" by Fairfax Harrison (dated 1901) can be downloaded by starting here:

https://books.google.com/books/about/A_History_of_the_Legal_Development_of_th.html?id=0IkjAQAAMAAJ

This free PDF softcopy is searchable.

I haven't found softcopies of the 1921 and 1958 supplements online.  I did purchase hardcopies of both supplements on Amazon.  Other book sellers may have hardcopies.

Of note, the Google Books scan of the 1901 document is from a hardbound library book.  Presumably it was put into a hard binding by someone other than the Southern.

The 1921 supplement is about 100 pages.  The 1958 supplement is about 590 pages.

I believe my hardcopy of Parts I through V was bound into book form by the Southern (see attached picture).

If anyone has a link to softcopies of the two supplements, please let me know.

Andy Ramsay
Berryville VA

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 3:06 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
David:

Note the attached….

If Fairfax Harrison was not willing to send the “LOC” a copy of the “History, you know they were serious about not letting it get out!

Ike

On Aug 23, 2021, at 1:07 PM, David Carpenter via groups.io <dcarp@...> wrote:

Strange that the letter states “never intended for publication.” I used to go to the North Carolina Collection in the Louis Round Wilson Library in Chapel Hill in the early 70’s and a person wearing white gloves would go retrieve this book for me to sit and read.. It was well-worn with brown leather wraps. I was stunned when I saw the set laying on the SRHA table at a train show in Winston-Salem 20-30 years ago it seems! Best $100 bill I spent that year! Thanks to whoever decided to bind them!!!!!

Others are selling entire collections of their magazines back issues for $99-$129 roughly it seems. I agree with others that is the market. Maybe 10% off with a new membership even.

David