locked Re: Early Diesel switcher assignments

TIM ANDREWS

We met every Tuesday evening and were there most weekends as well. The fuel rack was always busy with four axle road power (including F units near their end) while the bigger engines went in and out of Pot Yard without typically coming to Alexandria.  I have slides I took around that time frame, I'll have to dig them out sometime.

I always wondered if the 2300, being the first SW1500, was assigned to Alexandria because it was close to the research and test department at the East end of the yard.

On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 09:45:55 AM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Tim:

I don’t know (see my posting just now) but I suspect that particular roller bearing equipped switcher allowed Southern to close, or cut back, operations at the Alex disel shop.

Ike

On Sep 21, 2021, at 7:55 AM, TIM ANDREWS <ANDREWSTIM@...> wrote:

I grew up in Arlington and started hanging out at the Northern Virginia Model Railroaders layout in the old Alexandria yard office about 1971.  IIRC SW1500 2300 was the usual yard engine that I remember working there at least until I left for college in 1974.

On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 07:30:55 AM EDT, Rob Wingo <robertawingo@...> wrote:

Ike,
Good study.  I assume the $35k operating savings is the steam maintenance costs vs diesel maintenance.  That’s alot of steam
maintenance!  But all of our steam was at least 20 years old by that time so no wonder.

I grew up in Alexandria, Va and I don’t remember seeing any true yard switcher after about 1970.  Is there a system level record of switcher assignments for that time period?

Rob