locked Re: Gift and Challenge

Dave Queener

Hi Ike,

SF-1013 is the Haskell & Barker built version of the 30 Ton Standard Boxcar shown on SF-1002. SF-1013 is referenced on F Card F-13, Column A, as the general arrangement drawing for SR box cars numbered 13100 to 14099. From my research among the aperture cards, the SRHA has almost every part drawing for one of these cars. These have already been scanned, and should be on the hard drive of the main archives computer.

I used general arrangement SF-1002, which you very kindly gave me access to several years ago, along with Card F-15, column A, to create my AutoCAD drawings of one of these cars, namely AC&F built car #15873, from which I based by F scale kit. I am now working up a SolidWorks version of the same for a much improved, and more detailed, 1/20th scale kit.

I should add that the main differences between the Haskell & Barker car and the AC&F version are the cast steel body bolster and draft rigging that H&B used, necessitating different spacing of the intermediate sills. H&B also omitted the Jones door hardware and most likely the sheet metal hood covering the door track in favor of their own hardware, for which the SRHA has a part drawing.

Here are pics of two of these cars:

Cheers,

Dave Queener

(865) 209-5654 (c)

On 9/30/2021 10:23 AM, George Eichelberger wrote:
Eric:

I don’t know what the effect of the smaller PDF file will be on the resolution of the drawing but here is another Google Drive link. Let us know how the conversion to AutoCad goes.

(I realize that 177MB .tiff files are not the easiest to work with but fullsize 200 or 300 dpi scans give us “archival” quality images to work with. While scanning technology will improve, we have these to work with and the original drawings can sit in their files until we need to scan them again. PS: I scanned some of the drawings at 8 bit color, not greyscale. Although the drawings are not color, it does appear to be easier to adjust the scan contrast and color levels starting from 8-bit color image although keeping everything in that format would require huge amount of storage for an archives the size of SRHA’s.)

I also realize most modelers, Southern and otherwise, focus on “transition era” or later prototypes but amazing work can be done with early “steam era” rolling stock as well. There are only a few companies doing kits from casting but good quality drawings could “bend the curve” backwards in time for what (Southern and Central of Georgia) prototypes are available. (The CG linens are in the SRHA archives.)

Ike

PS If anyone takes the scan to have a full size drawing made, give the group an idea what it cost. (I have found that most D size drawings can be reduced to 11”x17” @ 300 dpi that can be produced on standard ink-jet printers. That size is still very readable and much more convenient on the work bench.)

On Sep 30, 2021, at 7:53 AM, Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:

George,
Is there any way to see these as a PDF? I would love to move these to AutoCad and plot them to scale.

Eric

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 7:22 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
The new SRHA scanner is in service at the archives. As expected, it does a superb job on our large drawings (linens and blueprints).

I’ve uploaded the full size, full resolution scan for drawing SF-1013, a “Plain Box Car” drawn July 5, 1905. The drawing does not include what car series the drawing is for but the index of SR drawings shown on the print strongly suggest this is not a car proposed by one of the car builders. (As cars got more complex, the index was left off most drawings after about 1906-7.) That’s the “gift”…

The “challenge” includes several opportunities to display models built from the drawing:
Next year’s SRHA (twice postponed) convention in Richmond, VA, next year’s joint meeting with the L&NHS at their annual convention at TVRM, AND to be on display in the future TVRM museum building across the (Turntable Road) street from the archives. Models can be of any scale, including 12”:1’. (A partial cut away model of a “WUF” would be interesting.) I expect the various drawings, plus trucks, are in the archives but we will ask for a donation if anyone wants them all. The Google Drive link to the (177 MB) drawing is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oGLl1PKvtG_ZviFJRLcz56RR71ZcodJg/view?usp=sharing

Ike

PS Donations for things like $7,000+ scanners are always welcome, and needed.

--
Owner, Cumberland Model Engineering
www.CumberlandModelEngineering.com  (865) 333-5712

Pastor, St. Paul Presbyterian Church