locked Re: [ModelingTheSouthern] Budd LtWt Pass Car Stencil Drawing - 1948

George Eichelberger

Evan:

I assume you could see the drawing so I won’t re-send….

In the late 1940s and 50s, all of the passenger car builders were very active in marketing their designs to the Southern. Sometimes we see unsolicited proposals, other times preliminary drawings that were changed before the cars were built. This particular drawing is part of a large group produced for the “Royal Palm” and “Crescent” orders in ’48. (Southern was the “lead” in ordering cars for all of the roads that purchased equipment for those trains; NYC, SR, PRR, L&N, A&WP and FEC so there are many drawings of their cars in the files.

As the Southern’s 1941 “Southerner” and “Tennesseean” cars used the new passenger lettering, I wonder why Budd did not follow that example in ’48? Obviously, no cars were lettered this way!

Ike

PS Here’s a Southern Railway trivia question. Where did the 1941 passenger car lettering come from?

On Oct 19, 2021, at 5:40 PM, Evan Whatley <Evan.w.what@...> wrote:

Ike- The image didn't attach correctly, but you got me on pins and needles wondering what changed? Did Budd propose Roman script on their car order?
--
-Evan Whatley