locked Re: FM H24-66 Train Masters

George Eichelberger

There is still a lot of research to be done for the SRHA SR diesel book on the FMs but from what I have learned so far, the consists we see them operating in are because of their MU and brake systems. The FMs were apparently the reason the F units had the MU connection up beside the end doors. Even with longer MU cables the were one of the few types that could operate with the FMs.

As I said, more research is needed (SRHA has the data) but we can see the progression of the different brake systems and how they changed as different types came and went from the roster. Some locos were modified, check out photos of the RS-2s and look at the MU connections and you’ll see what I mean.

The correspondence we see before units were ordered sometimes explains why certain MU/braking/sanding operations could change.