locked Re: K-4 Decals

Kyle Shannon

Usually those lettering are for the repack date of the bearing boxes when the cars are serviced. I believe the standard was a maximum of two years between repacks.
For modeling, these dates should be within the past 2 years of your modeling date/era.

Somewhere, perhaps at the SRHA archive, I recalled seeing a list of initials for shops on the Southern, but not sure about Sn. Of course if a car was on interchange and due, they would repack and bill(?) to the owning railroad. The guys on here who are a bit more familiar with the operations side can probably explain it a bit better.

Kyle

On Monday, November 22, 2021, 12:05 AM, George Courtney via groups.io <gsc3@...> wrote:

On K-4;s decals for the black Southern twin hopper is the following:  Sn 3 58.  Anyone know what this represents?.  I'm sure it's something for March of 1958 but not sure if Sn is a shop abbreviation and is it for a repair, update or repaint?

Thanks,
George Courtney