locked Re: Atlanta-Bham Freight Traffic in the 40s-50s

James Walton

Thanks Jack!

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021, 01:02 C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:
James, ETT's don't usually give the interchange points for revenue and routing purposes, but they give crossings and junctions. From 9/29/1946 ETT.

Jack

On Monday, December 13, 2021, 11:51:32 PM EST, James Walton <whovianwil@...> wrote:

Hi Jack, would that ETT happen to mention where interchanges were on the division?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021, 22:36 C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:
Ike, sorry that I can't make it. Maybe in a few months.

Jack

On Monday, December 13, 2021, 10:21:54 PM EST, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Jack:

I agree that ETTs do not tell much about train consists but quantity, running times, how long they were in yards, not to mention the NA track profile may provide a hint. Although I do not know if/how many we have that cover the NA, we have been scanning quite a few Dispatcher’s Train Sheets lately. Those, plus whatever info we have on Norris and DeButts yards and road diesel assignments would help fill in the details.

Come to the work session this weekend!

Ike

On Dec 13, 2021, at 9:38 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

Thanks Ike, but ETT's will not tell you the classification of traffic and the blocking of trains. I do have a 1946 Birmingham ETT and it does look like a series of no. 54's eastbound could have handled through traffic from Sheffield to Atlanta. The other direction is a bit ambiguous because Southern did not have scheduled westbound through freights in the ETT between Austell and Birmingham. In the later Southern years the traffic between Memphis and Atlanta was handled via Birmingham However the Feb 1, 1929 freight schedules showed it via. Chattanooga. I think that I will vote with you about via Chattanooga.

Jack Wyatt

On Monday, December 13, 2021, 08:59:13 PM EST, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Jack:

Someone can check the ETTs at the archives this weekend (Fri & Sat) but I suspect most Atl-Mem traffic went via Chattanooga. Between coal traffic and operations on the NA, I cannot see that as the major route?

Ike

On Dec 11, 2021, at 10:18 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

One routing that I am curious about is how traffic went during that period between Atlanta and Memphis. Was it via Birmingham or via Chattanooga?

Jack Wyatt

On Thursday, December 9, 2021, 01:36:01 PM EST, James Walton <whovianwil@...> wrote:

I already suspect the answer to this is "anything and everything," considering Atlanta and Bham were massive industrial centers. I suspect the Southern was similar to many railroads in that they brought coal and coke to the steel mills in Bham.

<Feb 1 1929 Southern Rwy between Atlanta and Memphis.JPG>