locked Re: 53ft 1975 Greenville Steel Car Gondola

George Eichelberger

Southern 70-T 52’-6” high side gons were built on New Car Program (NCP) 149 by Greenville Steel Car as their Lot 1101 in 1975. The General Arrangement drawing is Greenville 37115, stencil drawing is GSC 37134.

By 1975, the Southern was re-drawing or tracing very few drawings. Because of that, there do not appear to be any SR produced “SF” prefix drawings for these cars. Although the SRHA archives contain virtually all of the SF series and carbuilders’ General Arrangement, Brake and Stencil drawings, not all of the carbuilder drawings, including these, have been scanned.

We scanned nearly 200 large format drawings on the new ($7,000) scanner at this weekend’s work session. Our ability to organize and scan is limited by the number of people that come to the work sessions. They are the third weekend (Fri & Sat) of every month at the SRHA/L&NHS/TVRM archives in Chattanooga.

Ike

On Dec 17, 2021, at 10:37 AM, Mike K <mkingery@...> wrote:

I would like to create a model of a 1975 vintage Greenville Steel Car Gondola.  Number series 66090-66699, AAR Type E534.  Some are still in use for MW service and have been seen around my home area.  What are good resources for basic dimensional details to help me get the model as reasonably correct as possible?  Something like a single page drawing with overall dimensions, maybe rib placement, etc.  Published books, SHRA archives in Chattanooga, elsewhere?

I am working toward 3D design and printing of this car and possibly future cars for my HO scale layout.

Thanks for any ideas.

Mike Kingery
Madison, AL