locked Auto Parts Cars for Ford

George Eichelberger

Although I have no idea what some of the items Ford wanted installed in the 800 86' auto parts cars shown on the attached are, taken together the three pages give an idea of how closely the railroads worked together when dealing with the auto companies. This was a large project, 800 cars for 22 railroads led by the N&W. (As many programs were.)

Later correspondence in this same SRHA archives file discusses the removal of the cars' roof walks. That work was done in Buffalo with each railroad having the option to receive the scrap metal, a dollar credit for the scrap sold in Buffalo or the running boards removed and returned. Southern asked that the parts be sent to Hayne Shop for use as grating. (I think (!) I have seen some roof walk material used as walkways on bridges.)