moderated Re: Southern Railway Valuation Section Maps

George Eichelberger

Tim:

I understand the ICC records (the originals) are in a warehouse in MD. I cannot imagine how big the place must be after seeing the scope of what SRHA has for just the Southern and CofG…imagine the PRR or UP!

The “33” you are seeing is most likely the Valuation Section number for the line segment you are interested in. All of the fixed plant (i.e not rolling stock or “unassigned”) records are based on the State and Val Section. Val sections are on a state by state basis, the numbers may be repeated. I expect you want NC Val Section 33. Note also, you want to make sure you find the different accounts 15, 16, whatever, that include depots, water stations, etc. for that Section. They may appear in different books and an account may only be found in the year a change was made to that category.

I will post some rolling stock records later today or tomorrow. Those records are reasonably good at showing predecessor railroads’ car numbers, built dates, original costs, etc. The oldest piece of Southern MoW equipment I found dated back to the Civil War. It was included in the initial Engineering Reports but gone by 1916.

 Ike

On Oct 1, 2018, at 1:53 PM, Tim <tarumph@...> wrote:

Thanks Ike. This should help finding things even in other collections. I'll be going to the Washington, DC, area this week for the MER convention. If things are on time, I may hit the Library of Congress to look at these documents there. The section I'm interested in is labeled 33. What does that refer to?

To any others that have done this before, any tips on investigating documents at the LOC?

Thanks,
Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC