locked Re: Coal for the old Duke Power's Buck Steam Plant

James

George,

Buck Steam Station is located on the south side of the Yadkin River near Spencer, NC.  It is still visible from I-85.  Southern served the station from a siding located between present Linwood yard and NCTM, old Spencer shops.

Here is the location on google maps:

Here is the info from Duke Energy:

I am not sure where the coal would have been shipped from during the period you stated.

On Jan 16, 2022, at 13:48, George Courtney via groups.io <gsc3@...> wrote:

I'm curious which coal mining area provided coal for the Buck Steam Plant?  I understand this Duke Power plant was near Asheville and would have been served by the Southern.  However,was the coal provided by the s.w. Virginia area or the mines near Middlesboro, Ky?  Or some other source?  Could it have come off the L&N and been interchanged with the Southern?  My time line of interest is between World War II and the early 1950's.

Thanks,
George Courtney

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC