locked Re: Large shippers box car requirements ...1954

Sam Smith

As far as I have ever seen or heard of, the Southern applied ice breaking fixtures to the roofs of some GP30's and SD24's for a few years. Apparently, that didn't last long before these fixtures were removed.... mostly. I think the actual mounting points were left in place.

Sam

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:29 PM, Jason Greene
<jason.p.greene@...> wrote:
I have seen actual car, and pictures of the Clinchfield version of what you were talking about. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a picture of one off the Southern. I’d be interested in seeing pictures if there was one.

Jason Greene

On Jan 31, 2022, at 12:01 PM, John M. Ware, P.E. <John@...> wrote:

To Anyone:

      A long time ago I saw a photo of a modified MOW railcar designed to break ice cycles from tunnels or any other objects. The car was pushed ahead of the locomotive for obvious reasons. As I recall it was either a flat car or gondola with a hoop type steel structure shaped to the track clearance limits. My guess is that it was made  in a railroad shop. I don’t remember  the railroad, but  maybe it was from the “Rat Hole” Division of the CNO&TP. Do not remember if the loco was steam or diesel. If anyone has a photo or drawing, it would be helpful for a project that I am working on.

Thanks,

John Warel