locked Re: Hydra cushion underframe & 20" cushioned coupler

George Eichelberger

A minor factoid about Southern diagram books. Although we have steam loco diagram books going back to before the SR itself, the railroad apparently did not produce freight car books until some time in the late 50s/early 60s.

Does anybody know of such a thing?

Ike

On Feb 3, 2022, at 12:44 PM, Ed Burnett <ctwrwy@...> wrote:

I agree with Brother Wells, I'm interested in 1950's and back. A book of diagrams dealing with cars of the steam/transition era would be of interest to me. Of course, we are probably in the same demographic! -Ed Burnett, Lynchburg, Virginia

On 02/03/2022 12:36 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

An earlier version of the diagram book would interest me if by earlier you mean older cars. SU boxcars both 36 and 40 ft versions, wood cabooses, stock cars, vent cars and many older cars. Having said that, I’m older than many SR fans and not sure how much the rest of the audience shares my opinion.
One manufacturer said the SR cars in the block Southern were out selling the black RR Roman lettered cars. I was surprised and realized I am old
My 2 cents
Fenton
On Feb 3, 2022, at 12:21 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

And …. getting to more prototypical draft gear on models is a great concept! (Is a 2-56 screw really needed for HO couplers?)

Going back to the photo of Southern 115757. That group of Southern cars has quite a (steam era) history. Sou 115750-115774 are shown as “70-Ton Transformer Cars (Low Bulkhead) on freight car diagram book page* 33-F-77. The “CUF” was added by Evans Products as the cars were rebuilt (for the second time) from Sou 50-T wood racks Sou 122998-123499 (rblt Spencer ’55), Sou 120998-122997 and Sou 250400-250599 (rblt Coster ’56 & ’57) and Sou 301300-301343 (rblt Coster 1957) (Sou diag book page 31-F-97).

The wood racks were Coster Shop (Knoxville) rebuilds from 50-T DDB (double drop bottom) gondola series 175000-176344 and Sou 315700-315949. (Southern gons of the period were typically called “coal cars”.)

Virtually all of the original drawings, as-built and re-built, are in the SRHA archives but not every drawing was redrawn for the rebuilds so all of the versions of the cars need to be researched to model the transformer cars. With some research, we could go back and see what the original underframe/center sill drawings show.

Ike

PS Is there any interest in SRHA publishing an earlier version of the Southern freight car diagram book than we have available now?