locked Re: Hydra cushion underframe & 20" cushioned coupler

Jim King

To me, the give-away that this was made from an old car is the trucks.  They have chilled (inner ribs) and a spring plank, making them, I think, a Barber S-2-A that appeared in the late 1930s.  I'm producing the Milwaukee full-length rib side box in S scale now and this truck was used under these cars that debuted in 1939.  In 1945-ish, MILW was using the same truck but with non-ribbed wheels.  Spring planks disappeared in the late 40s with the advent of better-tracking trucks, like the super-common ASF Ride Control with deep spring cavity.