locked Re: SD40-2 initial delivery questions

David Friedlander

Carl, Charlie, and Bob,

Thanks for the clarification on my questions.

Sounds like maybe I'll stick with two SD40-2 and include a lone SD40 (still to be repainted) as my primary 3-unit SD power on my pike. I also have SD9, 24, 35, and 45 power to draw from, but the SD9's will probably work as a pair, the 24's will be with a trainmaster or together, and the 35's/45's may mingle if I can find evidence they did that when I have more time.

Thanks again!
David

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 11:19 AM Charles Powell <charlesspowell@...> wrote:
David,
Southern would typically take receive new units dead in tow, from EMD at Louisville. Since Southern used K&IT terminal in Louisville the new units would continue in tow to Danville, KY where the Mechanical Dept. would inspect and officially take delivery. They would then operate to Chattanooga. As Carl has said on Southern merchandise trains standard power was three SDs or four GPs so the SD40-2 got mixed in pretty quick. One exception was that once they provedĀ  their reliability, solid consists of SD40-2s became standard power on a number of the unit coal trains.
Charlie