locked Re: SD40-2 initial delivery questions

Charles Powell

Stuart,
You are correct, the new EMDs typically came down on the Monon from Chicago.

David,
In the 60s through the 80s the SDs 24, 35, 45, 40, and 40-2s could all be found mixed together regularly. The SD9s (and lone SD7) which came from the Central of Georgia and were non-dynamic brake equipped typically worked together in pairs around Atlanta and Birmingham a lot, being used to make heavy transfer runs from Norris or Inman yards to satellite yards or interchange. I do recall seeing the SD7(201?) on the head end of an AGS train heading to Chattanooga once. I imagine it was working its way to Chattanooga for an overhaul.

Charlie