locked Re: History of Signature colors

George Eichelberger

One (of many) SRHA archives research projects we want to do is to have someone start in the SR Presidents’ files boxes around 1925 and simply look through everything until they get through 1926 to see if they can find any references to the green paint. That was announced in the August, 1926 “Southern News Bulletin” (I’ve attached the article. A complete set of scanned “SNBs” are available on DVD from the SRHA “Grab”.)

Ike

On Mar 29, 2022, at 12:00 PM, Robert Hanson via groups.io <RHanson669@...> wrote:

After a bit of research, I found that the first of the Gresley Pacifics, the Great Northern, of LNER predecessor Great Northern Railway, left the road's Doncaster works in 1922 clad in green dress.  The GN became part of the LNER in 1923.   While I do not know when the first Southern Railway (England) green locomotives were so painted, it would appear that those of the LNER, at least, pre-dated the Southern's green Ps-4's (the first Southern locomotives so painted) by several years.

For whatever it is worth.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA

-----Original Message-----
From: mike turner <michaellturner@...>
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Mar 28, 2022 6:57 pm
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] History of Signature colors

To add to the historical murkiness, back around 2008 I attended a
British train exhibition in Taunton UK and wore my SRHA shirt.

Three men approached me and said they they were confused by my
strange-to-them shirt.

One said he was an officer of the British Southern Railway historical
group and one of their their questions was about the green paint scheme.

They said their understanding was it was the other way around and their
railroad's president visited over here, saw the American green scheme,
and ordered their engines painted likewise.

I have no idea if he was pulling my leg (fool the Yank) or what.

They all got a good laugh out of an American version of the story.

We know what both railroads did, more or less. We just don't know who
copied whom, if anyone did. :)

Personally, I'll go with Adrian's opinion.

--
Mike Turner
MP-Z35