locked Re: Information about Southern City Yard Memphis TN in 1960s

Alexander Smart

Hello

I posted a request for information about Memphis City Yard in the 1960s yesterday.

I forgot to mention that I would also be interested in Memphis employee timetables, freight train procedures and terminal books, lists of stations and sidings, training manuals, conductors’s time books, etc. These would allow me to plan accurate switching moves for individual industries with specific classified tracks and spurs, with car capacities for each, and to correctly block freights coming from Forrest and other yards.

Finally the maps on the Condren site are not sufficient for my needs, but I’m finding it hard to access relevant Sanborn fire insurance maps from the UK.
Any large scale map of that area in the 1960s would be welcome, or suggestions for access. I need streets, tracks and businesses shown with measurements if possible.

I would of course be happy to meet appropriate expenses incurred by anyone willing to assist me in this project.

Thanks again.

Sandy Smart

On 20 May 2022, at 21:58, Jason Greene <jason.p.greene@...> wrote:

Mike Condron’s site is great but you already got that. I don’t know if Steve Forrest is on this group but he’d be another good source. He shot a lot of slide in that area a little later than your era but he’d know the area.

Also, please do not confuse Donnie Dixon’s site and SRHA Archives as the same material. Donnie got his collection from his own sources and not from the archives. His scans are is own work.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the layout. I grew up visiting my dad in Memphis in the 90s and early 2000s.

Jason Greene

On May 20, 2022, at 4:24 PM, Alexander Smart <agfsmart@...> wrote:

Hello

I am a SRHA member in Oban, Scotland, UK.

I would like to find more information about the Southern freight operations around City Yard Memphis, Tennessee in the 1960s. This was inspired by Zone B of a Southern Railway Track Map and Terminal Survey, Memphis TN, May 1980, which I found on a Donnie Dixon link from the SRHA.

I realise that Southern wasn’t a major player in the Memphis area, but it will allow me me interchange and transfer runs with, the IC, L&N, Frisco, Cotton Belt etc with appropriate locos and cars.

I have been constructing a small switching layout in HO based on the above, but would like to rebuild it into a larger, more accurate layout with the correct track plan, correct industries, accurate locos and rolling stock.
So far I have Memphis Furniture Mfg.Co.,Central Chemical, McDowell Industries Inc(Semmes Bag Co.), a team track and possibly Parts Inc. Getting photos of these industries has been almost impossible so far, even on the Internet.
This is the area along the Southern branch up from Forrest Yard, from Sledge St. to Linden Street.

However I need more information especially 1960s era photos of the exact area with industries, length of spurs, trackage etc.
In addition I would welcome details of switching moves, transfer runs to other yards, locos used and rosters etc.
Did Southern allow other roads to make transfer runs to City Yard or just to Forrest Yard?
I would love to justify visits from other roads’ locos to my yard.

I have been using Mike Condren’s Memphis Railroad Pages as a good source of maps and photos but have now exhausted this source.

If any members live in the Memphis area or have a knowledge of the above, I would welcome any information or suggestions.

Apologies for such a long post!

Kind regards

Sandy Smart