locked Re: The Southern in Nashville?

Steve Ellis

The Southern did not go to Richmond or the Tidewater area in Virginia, did it? I know that they also did not go to Jackson Mississippi,
so there were other cities in the South which it did not serve.

Steve Ellis

On Friday, June 10, 2022, 03:56:50 PM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

James:

In all my “digging” through the SRHA archives material, I’ve never read anything about the Southern having any interest in Nashville. As the Memphis and Charleston already gave Southern a western gateway and Nashville was not a enough of a manufacturing area to warrant to Southern going there, Sam Spencer was probably content to expand the system elsewhere, to Florida and Savannah, for example.

The most extensive files SRHA has on Memphis relate to a new Union passenger station. If anyone is familiar/interested in Memphis, that would make a good article for “TIES”.

Ike

On Jun 10, 2022, at 2:50 PM, James Walton <whovianwil@...> wrote:

Nashville, Tennessee is the only major city in the South I can think of that the Southern Railway never reached directly. Between the L&N and the NC&StL, Nashville was effectively closed off, as the poor old Tennessee Central found out.

Did the Southern ever have plans to reach Nashville?