locked Re: The Southern in Nashville?

George Eichelberger

The Southern got to Tidewater long before it acquired the original NS. Here is a portion of an ACL-SR trackage rights presentation I did years ago at the Cocoa Beach RPM. (one drawing on Pg 4 did not export to the PDF.) A heavily revised and updated version may be a future CCB and/or TIES article. Among other “new” topics, it includes Savannah Union Station and the construction of the ACL Jesup-Folkston cut off.

For anyone that has never been to the SRHA archives or sat in on a clinic or presentation using material from the archive, I’ve uploaded a PDF to Google Drive.

If you download the PDF, please send comments to archives@....

When I was first asked to do a clinic at Cocoa, the assumption was it would be on a modeling subject. I suggested that with so many good modeling topics on the schedule, I might try to do a “historical” presentation. Our expectation was either no one would sit in or they would leave as soon as they saw the subject did not include putting a high nose on a SR diesel model. Since that first clinic, “history” has been become a fixture of the sessions.

The history of the Southern is the reason SRHA exists today. Anyone interested is welcome to join at SRHA.net.

Ike

On Jun 10, 2022, at 5:04 PM, Robert Richardson <seaboard@...> wrote:

Steve,

Yes the Southern DID go to Richmond (West Point) and tidewater Virginia and NC also, with the merger of the original Norfolk Southern.

Robert Richardson

Henderson, NC

MP S114.5