locked Two projects" A Southern Steam Book and an archives reading room

George Eichelberger

With all of the Southern Railway Steam photos and documentation in the SRHA archives, I believe a "better" book could be produced rather than re-printing Prince's book. Now with the network connections SRHA has in place and a huge amount of networked storage available, organizing a group of people to write and produce a book is certainly possible. I have no idea about the level of potential authors' interest or the market for such a book. I DO think a "steam" book would be of interest if it was more than a collection of photos. (The pages from one of the SR diesel books now being put together I posted some time ago are an example of the "more than photos" concept.) If anyone is interested in participating, send an email to archives@....

And:
Now that we are getting the SRHA archives building organized, we can clean out and equip one of the rooms as a "reading/research room". Dimensions are about 12' x 14' with easy access to the archives "stacks" and other rooms. A comfortable reading chair and sofa, reading lights, table and office style chair (or two), a wall mounted video screen/terminal that can be used for videos and scanned documents or photos and a desktop computer for the screen and an attached scanner could all be included.

What is needed is for someone to buy the items and help set the room up. I ask again....any takers? If anyone helps us do a first-class job, "naming rights" for the room are available. (That name will join the (not yet formally named) "Jim Wrinn SRHA Photo Collections Room" that will be dedicated during the joint SRHA-L&NHS-RPM convention and meet at TVRM 9-30/10-1. More on that at the dedication.)  Archives@... if you are interested.