locked Re: Southern Railway Prince book reprints - takers??

George Eichelberger

I’d suggest you look at the Murphy Branch Valuation maps. Virtually anything that had a siding since 1916 will be shown on them.

Ike

On Jun 24, 2022, at 12:02 PM, Michael Roderick <mdrghost@...> wrote:

Ike:

You are correct google is a tool to use, just as well as using the archive's of the universities in the south that will let you into their libraries via the internet. This is how I have found a lot of information on the Murphy Branch of the Southern Railroad, but it's still hard because it's limited access to the material, and what I am looking for now is historical information as in what businesses where being served on the Branch during the 20-30's Sanborn Maps help but they are not as complete as everyone thinks. So I have to look at the Courthouse's Records and Newspapers and that takes time to research just like at the archives at Chattanooga.

Mike Roderick
Modeling the Murphy Branch
Of the Southern Railroad

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2022 11:46
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Southern Railway Prince book reprints - takers??

Mike:

I’m not disagreeing with you but unless “working remotely” includes something more than Google searches, how does it add to our knowledge?

Ike

On Jun 24, 2022, at 11:33 AM, Michael Roderick <mdrghost@...> wrote:

Ike:

True, But you have helped me with a bunch of stuff in the past and steered me in the right direction while going on this hunt for information, but it brings me back to the real question that while we a spread out wee need to be able to work together as a group on this type of project weather we are in Chattanooga or Indiana we all have some skin in the game because we all love this railroad and want to preserve it's history for other's read and understand the good, bad, and ugly of what it was all about and yes their was some things that was done that the railroad was not proud of doing back then but that was what was called business of railroading.

Mike Roderick
Of the Southern Railroad

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2022 10:23

OK…. “can’t get to Chattanooga”……from Indiana!

The Internet is great but I have had people that live in Middle GA and TN tell me “they can’t get to Chattanooga, would I just send them everything in the archives on their question”?

I recognize that a favorite railroad location, museum or archives may be farther away than someone’s PC and keyboard but how is it some folks have made the effort to go places, do research, take photos and make databases (?). Or,…. support that work with more than a Google search?

Ike

On Jun 24, 2022, at 9:47 AM, Michael Roderick <mdrghost@...> wrote:

John:

I agree with you with about the digital sharing of information that is the one problem I have about being up here in Indiana and trying to do research on the Murphy Branch and can't get to Chattanooga to look in the archive's at all I have to rely on other member to get the information or go through tons of database's online to find just that one needle in the haystack to start linking the pieces together.

Mike Roderick
Of the Southern Railroad

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Stewart
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2022 09:37

Good morning,

I would suggest that the idea of a new book is only one of several options to appeal to enthusiasts of all ages.

Looking forward, why not consider an electronic reference on line? Consider, for example, that this very conversation is taking place online, rather than in print.

There are many examples of online references, both free and subscription or annual fee basis.

One example that comes to mind is steamlocomotives.com - a free reference. One good thing is that it may be updated if users send worthwhile material to the owner for consideration

I bought my copy of Prince’s “Southern” nearly 30 years ago and am proud to have it. But it is a static reference in a digital world.

I enjoy doing historical research on rail and industrial topics. If I had to rely on printed material I would be severely limited as to what I’ve found, learned, and in a small way, shared with others.

There are many things in life that must be “real and in person” - there’s no such thing as good digital Bar-B-Q and a cold drink”

But information and sharing knowledge— the process of learning new things— may, it seems to me, best be shared in real time. A very efficient way to do this is the internet.

John Stewart
Birmingham, AL
www.bhamrails.info

Join main@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.