I do like history. I majored in the history and philosophy of science and technology. I have read many of the histories of various transcontinental railroad creation efforts from Empire Express to the Panama Canal Railway. I’ve read a fair bit on railroads as the first corporation and the source of standard time (Schivelbush’s Railway Journey covers that).  The Burke and Klein books are the best for the Southern. Burke focuses upon the Presidents with a little  biography and a focus on the decisions they faced and the way each put their stamp on the Southern. Klein focuses on the overall financial environment and business strategies that lead to the formation of the Southern by the New York bankers through Spencer.

I enjoy data and stories. I mostly read histories of 1870-1950 North America, but not much on ships.  I tend to devote any extra time to the Southern data snd modeling.

Sent from Dave Bott's iPhone

On Jun 25, 2022, at 7:16 AM, Robert Richardson <seaboard@...> wrote:

Curt Tillotson

Robert Richardson

Henderson, NC

MP S114.5

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Walton
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2022 1:18 AM
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] History Book?

If you can find it, Richard Prince's book on the Southern's steam locos is a must-have. Curt Thompson's books on steam and diesel may be worth a look as well.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022, 22:11 Charles Harris <railroads@...> wrote:

Hi Dave

Looks like you have a great knowledge on transport books.

Looking for historical data on  Robert Macy Naval Architect and Engineer.  Wrote a lot of books on ship safety.  I would like to locate a historical history of his career including times at Ingalls Shipbuilding. Also noted for designing the Ingalls 4-S diesel loco in 1946.   This loco probably ran on Southern trackage out of Decatur where the Iron Works associated factory (Birmingham Tank Co), appears to have been located on the Southern Railroad trackage.

Thankyou

Charles Harris

On 25/06/22 11:03, A&Y Dave in MD wrote:

Clark,

Southern Railway: The Road of the Innovators by Burke Davis is like that.   You may also enjoy "The Great Richmond Terminal: Foundation of The Southern Railway" by Maury Klein.  They can be found for reasonable prices in used bookstores (or online at Alibris, Abe's Books, or sometimes Amazon and eBay).

Dave

Friday, June 24, 2022, 4:30:21 PM, you wrote:

Hello, I am interested in reading about the history of Southern Railway. Can anyone suggest a book like this? I did an online service and it mostly brings up illustrated history books, but I am looking for the stories about the operations, management, mergers, etc. Something like a novel, but non-fiction of course. Thanks!

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC