locked Re: Two projects" A Southern Steam Book and an archives reading room

David Eisman

With the L&N HS and the SR HS collections so close together it would be interesting to produce a book comparing the 2 Railroads.  This book could examine not just the equipment but also the different philosophies and leadership personalities that guided these 2 companies that competed so much for the same customers.

Any interest?
David Eisman

On Jun 23, 2022, at 10:08 PM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

´╗┐
Dave, good analysis.

I don't mean to nitpick, but I believe the last new steam locomotives on the Southern were the Class Ls-2 type 2-8-8-2's, nos. 4051-4058 instead of Ps-4 No. 1409. Though they all were built in 1928, the Baldwin construction numbers suggest that the articulated engines were last.

Jack Wyatt

On Thursday, June 23, 2022, 09:40:02 PM EDT, Dave Queener <dave@...> wrote:

Gentlemen,

I agree with Ike that a new Southern steam book could be a significant improvement over the Prince book, and not just in terms of photographic quality, although that in itself would be a plus. Several points come to mind:

(1) History of Development:

The Prince book has about a page of text for each major wheel arrangement. While better than nothing, this does not convey the history of development of steam on the Southern, for instance, why A series 0-6-0s evolved but then gave way to USRA 0-8-0s, why one builder got the bid over another, or what improvements were made over time within particular classes. There is also an economic angle to this story, since Southern did not purchase any new steam after the last Ps-4 in the late 20s, and avoided the Superpower revolution entirely....