locked Re: History Book?

aramsay18

Hello Clark and others

Here's a good starting point for Harrison's history. He starts with the Southern's predecessors such as the Richmond & Danville, beginning at the time of the Civil War.

This volume covers SRW history from 1827 to 1899. As noted, there are a number of additional volumes and supplements.

Very interesting.  This is only a good starting point, there is a lot to the history of the SRW.

In particular as to the R&D Harrison's Part II, Chapters 1 and 2, and Part III, Chapters 1, 2, and 3 define how the core of what would in 1894 become the SRW was formed.

It was the R&D that laid the groundwork.

Some volumes are available on Amazon (for IMO exorbitant prices) but you probably can do better with ABE books etc. if you want hardcopies.

This volume is available as a free download of a PDF of this 1523 page book. Or it can be read online for free.

Good luck with your search, let's keep in touch to compare notes.

I'm seeking material detailing how J. P. Morgan established the SRW as a corporate entity working with Samuel Spencer in 1893 and 1894.  (Very unfortunately for the Southern and the US railroad industry in general, Spencer was killed in a train accident in Nov. 1906.)

Best Regards from Berryville Virginia

Andy Ramsay

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 9:21 AM David Carpenter via groups.io <dcarp=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Clark,

Fairfax Harrison’s History of the Legal Development of the Southern Railway details the mergers, etc. SRHA found a number of them unbound and bound them 20-30 years ago along with the update (Vol 2) and maybe 3? Harrison was President of the Southern.

David