moderated N&W 475 + Silverside gon

Jim King

A couple months ago, there was a discussion of a pic showing a Silverside gon coupled to an N&W tender.  This is what the tender belonged to.  Note the N&W GP9 in the background and the Silverside coupled to the tender.  This was taken 9/3/60 in Bristol VA during an NRHS convention.  I have this neg.  Notice the steps to the cab for those wanting to see inside the cab.  Since this discussion surfaced, I found an ebay slide of a NRHS convention train w/b at the Abingdon station … 2 Redbird GP9s and a long train … headed to Bristol on 9/2/60 for the convention.

N&W 475 may have been run to Bristol from Roanoke under steam since steam ended only 6 months earlier in Williamson WV.  475 was dressed up for the famous 1957 NRHS tripleheader to Blacksburg and later stored in Roanoke in this dress.  It now runs at Strasburg minus some of the glitz.

So, for those naysayers who poo-poo that a Silverside could never have been coupled to N&W steam or have even run on N&W trackage, this photo proves otherwise.  This was shot near the 2-story yard office which is in Virginia and on the N&W.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com