locked Re: Southern 1380

George Eichelberger

According to the Paul Parrish steam retirements note book in the SRHA archives, 1380 was scrapped/moved to be scrapped 3-29-53 (his written "3" could be a "7" but probably not). The book also includes the scrapping of Southern's earliest diesels.

His Southern steam photos are very high quality, we are fortunate to have a number of them in the collection.

The notebook (approx. 100 pages) contains a note, entered by Marvin Black, the book is from his collection:

"NOTES ON DIARY OF P.E. (PAUL) PARRISH, A CLERK THAT WORKED AT CHARLOTTE DIVISION OF THE SOUTHERN RAILWAY."

Ike

This notebook would be another resource if we wanted to produce a SRHA book on Southern steam.

On Sunday, July 10, 2022, 12:08:35 AM EDT, Robert Graham <rgraham2@...> wrote:

That photo of SOU Ps4 1380 was not made in a scrap yard or in process of scrapping. It was made sitting on the lead now used by NCTM at Spencer NC. It is right in front of the still-extant paint shop building on the north side of the main back shop. SOU1380 is in way too good condition and paint to be at the end of its service; more likely early on or at least after a shopping, perhaps even original painting after streamlining. That area later became a diesel locomotive service area, so it simply appears to me that the photographer grabbed a photo form the street sidewalk across the stored material.

Bob Graham

-----------------------------------------

To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Saturday July 9 2022 6:07:41PM
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Southern 1380

You are right, I don’t know if that’s when it was being scrapped or not because it says junk yard but Spencer shops also had air of stuff laying around when they overhauled engines so I really don’t know.Trash74919733c86044ac1213f303de4729e6ded

Join main@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.