locked Re: Southern 1380

C J Wyatt

Second column seems to be type of stoker.

Jack Wyatt

On Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 01:30:30 PM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Don:

That’s an excellent question I KNEW someone would ask! Unfortunately, there is no “key” to his notations in the notebook My guess (other than the “retired” entries) is that they refer to “funeral train” descriptions but I don’t have much confidence in that.

Ike

On Jul 10, 2022, at 11:49 AM, Don Yelverton via groups.io <donyelverton@...> wrote:

Ike,
What are his abbreviations in the line with the No. 1380?

Don Yelverton

On Sunday, July 10, 2022, 11:28:58 AM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

“Summer” of 53” corresponds to a “3” or “7” in the Parrish notebook scan 10 (attached)…

Ike

<10.jpeg>

On Jul 10, 2022, at 11:04 AM, Don Yelverton via groups.io <donyelverton@...> wrote:

Bob,
The first photo in Will's email late yesterday shows the 1380 in a scrap line with the tender from 856 and most of the stainless removed from the locomotive.

Don Yelverton

On Sunday, July 10, 2022, 10:50:34 AM EDT, Cohen Bob via groups.io <orl96782@...> wrote:

I can't recall where or when I saw this photo of 1380 albeit with a different than in service tender, but it was sitting in the scrap line in Alexandria in the Summer of 1953, out in the open in the Southern's Alexandria yards. There were a bunch of other retired steamers also sitting in the dead line.

Bob Cohen

<10.jpeg>