locked question about 1981 Illinois acquisition

A&Y Dave in MD

A guy named Andy asked this question on another list. I don’t have an answer.

Dave Bott

 Aug 10

Hi,
In 1981, I understand the Southern purchased from Conrail the former NYC Egyptian line from Mt. Carmel, IL to at least as far south as the BN & UP interchange at Karnak, IL for coal business.

Does anyone have information about the Southern  & NS operations on this line?  I understand that the NS stopped operating on it in 1988 and the tracks were removed around 1990.  Did the Southern/NS operate south of Karnak?

Sincerely,
Andy

Here is a link to a few photos of the Southern on this line:
At Karnak, IL:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2760499

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2760500

At Tunnel Hill, IL