moderated Re: Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

George Eichelberger

Bob:

At first, I thought you were talking about NYC before Sam Spencer and the headquarters moved to DC. Yes, there is a time “gap” between the move and the new building. I have not “stumbled” on a Presidents’ file about the new building but certainly, one exists. Perhaps the following Presidents’ files for Fairfax Harrison in the 1926 finding aids are a clue?

420

9682

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930 (4 Files)

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC.

(Folder 1 of 4)

420

9683

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC. (Folder 2 of 4)

420

9684

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC. (Folder 3 of 4)

420

9685

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general

office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC. (Folder 4 of 4)

There are finding aids for every year of every Southern Railway President. The work was done by Ms. Sallie Loy with support from a grant from Norfolk Southern while Wick Moorman was President. SRHA cannot thank NS and Sallie enough for the effort! We need volunteers to revisit and update all of our finding aids. We can work with local university students if a grant can be obtained to pay them and for archives supplies.

Ike

On May 23, 2019, at 9:43 AM, Cohen Bob via Groups.Io <orl96782@...> wrote:

Perhaps more interestingly is where SR was located prior to this building, and why they relocated. The basics are fairly well-known (well, okay, maybe not THAT well-known) but where they were located is. Now there is a story: why did SR move after the big fire in their former HQ which I think was around 1925 if memory serves me and not rebuild just on the same site?

Bob Cohen