locked Re: SR St. Louis Division

David Eisman

The Terminal Railroad Association of St Louis Historical and Technical Society  Issues 43-44 - Autumn 1997/Winter 1998 was devoted to St Louis - Louisville operations and the Nov 1994 issue of “Southern Rails” issue #46 a publication of the SRHS was also devoted to the St Louis Division .  I’ll keep looking
David Eisman

On Sep 19, 2022, at 10:11 PM, Craig Berndt via groups.io <cjberndt@...> wrote:

NS Corp. controlled Southern and N&W when we photographed the attached photo of SR GP38 2864 interchanging with the Hillsdale County RR at Steubenville in NE Indiana in Feb 1975.  Far from its home turf.

Craig

On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 05:22:11 PM EDT, James Walton <whovianwil@...> wrote:

Crazy to think of seeing Southern trains meeting Burlington Route trains.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022, 16:41 David Eisman <davideisman@...> wrote:
If you are a Classic Trains Magazine subscriber look up the May 2021 blog post by Kevin Keefe titled “ Southern where I least expected it “. It is a very nice summary with photos of the Louisville to St Louis line.  I will keep looking for more references.
All The Best
David Eisman

On Sep 17, 2022, at 9:01 PM, Craig Berndt via groups.io <cjberndt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Stuart:

Thanks.  I have the book.

Craig
___

On Saturday, September 17, 2022 at 09:33:51 AM EDT, Stuart Thayer via groups.io <stuthayer=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Craig,

Have you looked into the book "Rails Around Indiana" by Michael C Kelly & David Crisler Jr.?  There some coverage of the Southern's St Louis Div.  You may be able to glean some additional information to help in your research from the photos and captions.

Stuart Thayer

In a message dated 9/17/2022 8:48:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, cjberndt=yahoo.com@groups.io writes:

Ike:

Thanks.

I researched the St. Louis Div. when SR's archives were in Kennesaw.  I've also researched at the national archives, and at state and local libraries and archives.  I have Harrison's book, ICC's valuation report and other official records.  I wanted to know if there are other resources or people who are interested in the St. Louis Div.

I have a PowerPoint presentation that I've presented several times in IN and KY.

The attached map shows SR's main and 4 branch lines in Indiana.

Craig Berndt

On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 06:06:31 PM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Craig:

Although it has never been researched in detail, and certainly never published, there is a significant amount of documentation on the St. Louis line in the SRHA archives. The material is not stored on a per-division basis (they changed over the years) so I cannot estimate how much there is but it would certainly be worth someone's time to research and publish the information.
Here's an example....

Ike
Steubenville HCRC-SR Feb 1985.jpg