locked Re: The latest news for you

George Eichelberger

Jason:

On Nov 11, 2022, at 9:24 AM, Jason Parham <gmo1515@...> wrote:

Dang, I was hoping those cars might be able to see active service of some sort again. Well I guess it is better than a scrap bin.

Jason:

I certainly agree that we want to see Southern Railway rolling stock in service again but consider this:

While the cars might (!) be restorable, their condition and missing parts would make that a very expensive project. (... aside $ and from a very busy shop schedule, some of parts that have been removed over the years have helped keep TVRMs other equipment in service.)

I understand two other (NYC?) dining cars from the Choo Choo are going to be moved from Chattanooga and restored to service.

Consider that either as places for TVRM (and archives) volunteers to stay overnight, the cars would make it easier for folks to help at TVRM without paying for local hotel nights. I don’t know if the economics of a “public” B&B arrangement would work but that could (!!!) be in their future. (They would be relocated to the area beside the Grand Jct Wye near NS with good views of both operations. If any one is interested in the B&B idea, send me an email and I’ll get it to TVRM management.)

Ike

PS Note, the Nov. and Dec. archives work sessions have been annulled and replaced with a single session on December 9 and 10 to avoid schedule conflicts with Thanksgiving and Christmas. (Hotel prices in Chattanooga have come down considerably.)

On 11/10/2022 4:36 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wroteu:

To all our archives volunteers and visitors, please note. We thought the Nov. and Dec. so close to both Thanksgiving and Christmas would keep even some of our stalwart volunteers from attending.

I plan to be at the archives Thursday, Dec 8 if anyone wants to come then.

Ike

PS We have new “neighbors” on Turntable Road, four Southern coaches from the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel

<SR coaches at Turntable Rd.jpeg>

Begin forwarded message:
From: Southern Railway Historical Association <membership@...>
Subject: The latest news for you