From: George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
To: PassengerCarList@groups.io; main@southernrailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Mar 31, 2023 12:18 pm
Subject: [SouthernRailway] &N "Hummingbird"

I have mentioned the extent of the Southern Railway Presidents’ files in the SRHA/L&NHS/TVRM archives (to become the “Center for Southeastern Railroad Research) multiple times. (Do similar files exist elsewhere?)

A point I have not made is how common it is to find extensive margin notes on documents. The concept was used, and promoted, by Southern President D.W. Brosnan as a method to save time and money. (There are examples where “DWB” started a note in one corner and completely surrounded the text with his comment.) Margin notes can be more interesting than formal memos and letters because they are typically short, sweet and to the point. Does anyone know what the “SSW” comment is about?

I’ve attached an example.

Ike

Join {main@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.