From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> on behalf of George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 9, 2019 17:21
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Need scan of Murphy Branch timetable page

Jim:

Here are the two ICC summary pages for Accounts 18 (Water Stations) and 19 (Fuel Stations) for NC Val Section 53, the Murphy Branch. There appears to have been coaling facilities only at Balsam (MP 34.9) and Bryson (MP 64.3) as early as August 12, 1932.

All/most of the summaries are in the SRHA archives as well as the bi-annual submissions up to the 1960s.

Ike

PS to everyone. I’ll need to start deleting some of our attachments fairly soon.

On Jun 9, 2019, at 3:13 PM, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

I’m trying to locate water tanks and coaling spots on the Murphy Branch between Addie and Bryson City.  If anyone can send me a scan of the 1-page timetable page for the Murphy Branch for any year in the 40s up to 1952 (end of steam here), I’d greatly appreciate it.

In the 1960s to circa 1972, there was a Geep-powered local based in Sylva that ran between Sylva and Addie to switch the various industries, primarily Mead Paper.  If this local existed in steam days, there was likely a water tank and coaling facility, possibly a conveyor like at Nantahala, for this 2-8-0.

The ICC Val map for Bryson shows a water tank directly across from the wye and a coal trestle to the east (which is still there) but I’m not sure if this was for a retail coal dealer or for Southern engines (or both).  Was there a built up platform at this location where coal was shoveled into tenders?

Was there a coal conveyor or similar on the east end of Addie? Nothing shows on the Val map except the coal trestle.  There are remnants of a long stub siding visible in folks’ backyards made of very light rail and “ballast” appears to be coal mixed with cinders.  It’s angled away from the track but could have been the sight of a conveyor and the “ballast” that remains today is actually spilled coal from hoppers.  This would have been near the station and at the base of the climb to Balsam.  Addie’s water tank was east of the station around the curve (ICC Val map) from the station but there is no mention of a coal trestle.

There was a coal dealer called Sylva Coal & Lumber near the Sylva station (the trestle’s concrete bents still stand) but the trestle was angled away from the track.  Ironically, there is no mention or outline of the Sylva depot which stood on the opposite side of the track slightly westward toward Dillsboro.

Jim King

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com