moderated Re: Speeder setouts

David Payne

I appreciate Bill validating what I was thinking; the photos that I remember seeing of speeder setoffs, and not necessarily on Southern, were in remote places and perhaps outside tunnel portals.  As Bill pointed out, it is easy enough to “clear up” at the numerous grade crossings, especially for any of the M-type cars.  The A-cars would have been more of an issue, but I understand that many had “turntables” in the frame which could be lowered so that the car could be rotated, then raised, and rolled off the track.  Perhaps Bill can verify that a section crew would normally seek “clearance” for the “A” car and the trailers, which may have been loaded with rail and/or ties, in a convenient spur or siding.
DPayne

On Jul 11, 2019, at 12:16 PM, Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:

I never saw a list of where the setoffs were, at least on the Southern. When I started in MofW in 1971 (which was before the hi-rail era), I don’t recall ever setting off at a purpose-made location (or even seeing one on our territory) - there were too many grade crossings, which came in handy. My sense is that setoffs were common in areas where grade crossings were few and far between.

—Bill

On Jul 11, 2019, at 11:59 AM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Bill:

I checked a number of ETTs thinking there may have been some kind of code showing MPs where they located…no luck there.

Might the issue be that because a speeder could be moved off the track many places to clear up for trains, the local Track Supervisors and Signal Maintainers did not need a formal list?

Ike

On Jul 11, 2019, at 11:47 AM, Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:

For what it’s worth, I don’t remember seeing any standards for a set-off track other than, maybe, at a track shed. I’m not sure such a specific standard existed, so I too would be interested in seeing a standard if someone finds one.

—Bill

On Jul 10, 2019, at 8:51 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

I notice no one has responded to this post yet. Although I cannot locate my copies of the Southern Railway standards books, if someone can look there, they may (!!) include plans for a track speeder set-out track with recommendations as to where they should be located. I am heading to the archives on Friday, I'll look at the different versions we have there.