moderated Office of Defense Transportation (ODT) Files in the SRHA archives

George Eichelberger

We had another productive work session at the SRHA archives this past Thursday. Friday and Saturday. Although there is a lot of work to be done, we are making visible progress. Join us in August....

My project was to find files in the SR Presidents' collection that we can use as the basis for TIES articles. The (40, page) issue now at the printers has several articles that came directly from the files. I'll ask Editor Bill Schafer to post a description of what is in the issue. Folks that are not SRHA members may be able to get a copy where White River publications are sold or directly from the SRHA company store.

In addition to the troop movements before D Day and operations in the Pacific, the ODT issued various orders that forced the railroads to cut back on passenger services after the war was over. In addition to many other examples in the files, I've attached three pages from an AAR letter describing the number of people estimated to be moved to their "home stations" in 1945 and 46. The ODT is certainly a subject that needs to/ be researched and written about in multiple historical group magazines. The request for someone to produce an article on the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1917 has produced two superb articles that are in the TIES now at the printer. If someone is interested in learning and writing about the ODT in WWII, let me know.