locked Re: Southern dining car 3307 and OC 5 to TVRM

Ed Mims

Thanks, Ike. I’m all for “SOUTHERN” on the letter boards of a stainless steel car.

Ed

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2019 4:36 PM
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Southern dining car 3307 and OC 5 to TVRM

Ed:

The people donating the purchase cost of both cars are rather outspoken that we will see “SOUTHERN” on both cars’ letterboards. The paint on NS OC 8 is in good condition so we might see the repaint wait until everything else on the car is complete. The car has been under canvass for several years so the NS paint is in good shape as the bodywork and roof appear to be (no water leaks to speak of inside).

Probably $50K is needed to get the car to Chattanooga and get it fully restored and functional…a great opportunity for folks to make a donation to TVRM and satisfy their inner rail barron!

The car sits on shop trucks but TVRM has/knows where to get appropriate replacements.

The attached photo does not do the car justice but the canvas has protected it. Most of the underframe equipment has been removed to prepare the car for HEP, new AC hardware, etc.

Ike

On Aug 4, 2019, at 2:20 PM, Ed Mims <wemims@...> wrote:

This is good news. I’m also very happy that TVRM has adopted the policy of keeping equipment in the paint and stenciling of its previous owning railroad or original owner’s paint colors and stenciling. This makes it much more appealing to me rather than seeing Tennessee Valley on everything. I hope this will apply to the recently acquired O. C.s. and dinner (not Amtrak on the dinner, please).

Ed Mims 

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2019 2:04 PM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Southern dining car 3307 and OC 5 to TVRM

I have mentioned TVRM has purchased ex Southern Budd dining car #3307 from Amtrak. It will soon be moving from Beech Grove to TVRM for service.

From the "when it rains it pours" category, TVRM is also purchasing (from a private individual) Norfolk Southern Office car #8, ex Southern OC #5. Originally Pullman "Point Richmond", the car was converted to Southern #21 on 3-24-54, to #6 on 10-26-70 and to #5 on 8-11-72. Southern official cars were renumbered as the person they were assigned to was promoted. The car is in generally good condition with a number of modifications and repairs for Amtrak service already done. (The fact that NS named the car "Tennessee" seems particularly fitting for its new home in Chattanooga.)

Although the purchase price for both cars has been donated, there will be significant costs to move and restore OC 5. If anyone (!) would like to help with donations for putting both cars in service, please contact me or TVRM President Tim Andrews.

Ike

PS The "rain" continues...the first of two Southern 40' low side gons has been trucked to TVRM from Norfolk, VA, he second will follow shortly. One will be painted black with SOUTHERN lettering in the cars' original black paint scheme, the other in the 1959/60 Freight Car Brown scheme with block lettering. Both will be used in MoW service and photo freights. 

Join main@SouthernRailway.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.