locked Re: Southern dining car 3307 and OC 5 to TVRM

Bill Schafer

ESHR had 10 of these, as far as I know - 5 at Cape Charles, 5 at Little Creek. When I visited recently to inspect the gondolas, there were a total of six left. I was able to determine each one’s Southern Railway number - they were still visible on the underframe.

Four of the cars had already gone to that great scrapyard in the sky; the remaining numbers were: 55858 and 58274 (both at Little Creek), and 58060, 58173, 58421, and 58964 (Cape Charles). TVRM got the 58964 and one other.

—Bill

On Aug 5, 2019, at 4:47 PM, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

I’m always thrilled when Southern history is saved, especially for future service.  The 2 gons have particular interest to me because I’ve produced the 1945 PS rebuild in HO, S and O (shipping now).  I know TVRM is very good when it comes to accurately restoring equipment.  The gons, possibly from Eastern Shore RR, have a very diverse history.  ESHR had, I think, 5 of these low sides in service as ferry idlers.  Attached are pix of 2.  They appear identical (PS end with darts is a clue) 11-rib style from the 1945 rebuild program.  It’s doubtful a car number is still visible on the centersill but that would be all that’s needed to determine a car’s history.  Glad they are saved … likely the only ones to be so.

Jim King

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com<Eastern Shore 583 Little Creek VA 8-3-2002 R. Underwood Kodachrome lo rez.jpg><Eastern Shore 581 Little Creek VA 8-3-2002 R. Underwood Kodachrome lo rez.jpg>