locked Re: Southern dining car 3307 and OC 5 to TVRM

George Eichelberger

I apologize for continuously asking for donations to preserve Southern Railway equipment nowadays but the two gons to TVRM are a perfect example. Without the willingness of people to donate the cash to pay to have the cars cleaned out, lifted onto flatbed trucks and hauled to Çhattanooga (because of their solid bearing trucks and general condition), more would be going to the scrapper.

Ike

On Aug 5, 2019, at 5:19 PM, Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:

ESHR had 10 of these, as far as I know - 5 at Cape Charles, 5 at Little Creek. When I visited recently to inspect the gondolas, there were a total of six left. I was able to determine each one’s Southern Railway number - they were still visible on the underframe.

Four of the cars had already gone to that great scrapyard in the sky; the remaining numbers were: 55858 and 58274 (both at Little Creek), and 58060, 58173, 58421, and 58964 (Cape Charles). TVRM got the 58964 and one other.

—Bill

On Aug 5, 2019, at 4:47 PM, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

I’m always thrilled when Southern history is saved, especially for future service.  The 2 gons have particular interest to me because I’ve produced the 1945 PS rebuild in HO, S and O (shipping now).  I know TVRM is very good when it comes to accurately restoring equipment.  The gons, possibly from Eastern Shore RR, have a very diverse history.  ESHR had, I think, 5 of these low sides in service as ferry idlers.  Attached are pix of 2.  They appear identical (PS end with darts is a clue) 11-rib style from the 1945 rebuild program.  It’s doubtful a car number is still visible on the centersill but that would be all that’s needed to determine a car’s history.  Glad they are saved … likely the only ones to be so.

Jim King

--
Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com<Eastern Shore 583 Little Creek VA 8-3-2002 R. Underwood Kodachrome lo rez.jpg><Eastern Shore 581 Little Creek VA 8-3-2002 R. Underwood Kodachrome lo rez.jpg>