locked Re: Enoree River

Bill Schafer

If the picture dates from 1972, there’s only one train the sleeper could be operating in - trains 1 and 2, the Southern Crescent. I notice the neighboring sleeper and dining car also still have silver roofs, even though the SR monogram has been applied next to the doorway of the Emory River. I had thought that the monograms were applied the same time that the roofs were painted black, but apparently I was wrong.

TVRM’s Budd coach currently under refurbishment, SOU 832, will (I think) emerge with a stainless roof again, and be without the SR monogram, which would be correct for pre-1968 cars. Based on the Kimsey photo, stainless roofs with the monogram are correct for the 1968-1972 period at the least.

—Bill

On Aug 6, 2019, at 6:10 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

I’ve attached a photo of Sou 3252 “Emory River” taken Atlanta, GA 4-5-72 O.W. Kimsey, Jr. photo. Bill Schafer may be able to tell us which train the car is operarting in?

Note the unpainted roof..

I’ve also attached two memos from the SRHA archives - Hayne Shop files that may be of interest although the unpainted roof in 1972 is not explained. (More research is needed….)

Ike

<Sou 3252 "Emory River" 10-6 Pullman Atlanta, GA 4-5-72.jpg>

<1957-12-12 black pass car roof memo.jpg>

<11-5-57 Black Roof On #835.jpg>

On Aug 6, 2019, at 2:49 PM, Doug Alexander <doug_alexander@...> wrote:

Enoree River was built for the Crescent in 1949 and began service on that train in 1950. While it might have been used on other trains from time to time, Enoree’s home was 37 & 38.

Doug