locked Re: Enoree River

Ed Mims

Another view of CG 665 (Fort McPherson) showing the date of the accident.

Ed

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Payne via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2019 7:49 PM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Enoree River

Thanks.  That's more than I had heard/seen/read before; just assumed that the smooth roof was part of the repair.

Daivd

In a message dated 8/6/2019 7:46:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, klcenters@... writes:

Ultimately that probably led to the smooth roof. After Budd repaired the wreck damage it retained the fluted roof for a while. At some point Southern got tired of the leaks and installed a smooth roof.

The thing to remember about a Budd is that the roof was part of the structure of the car. The fluted roof allowed greater strength without the weight cost of structural beams.

On Aug 6, 2019, at 7:37 PM, David Payne via Groups.Io <davidcofga@...> wrote:

I thought the smooth roof on 665 came after the "roll-over" at Second Avenue in Columbus.  I don't recall the date, and I'm not going to look for it, but it could have been post-Southern acquisition and following Southern practices.  Of course, a "little" warping and twisting in a roll-over could cause a "few" leaks ...

DPayne

In a message dated 8/6/2019 7:21:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, klcenters@... writes:

SOU 665 (former CofGa 665) at Southern Appalachia Ry Museum is a good example of this. Built by Budd with a fluted roof with smooth panels applied by Southern.