locked Re: Enoree River

Kevin Centers

The pictures went to Charlie Poling and Chris Williams. Their company, East Tn Railcar owns the car. It is currently in storage awaiting restoration.  It’s safe and in a good home.

On Aug 7, 2019, at 12:10 PM, Ed Mims <wemims@...> wrote:

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I sent all of the photos in my collection of the Fort Benning (interior and exterior) to someone at SARM and I’m now wondering what the status of that car is. I believe it was owned by two of the SARM members who planned to restore it. Do you know who this was and what progress they have made? I lost my record of who the photos went to.

Ed

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Centers
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 11:55 AM
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Enoree River

Ed

That photo was taken in Oak Ridge at SARM. When we received the car it didn’t look that good. With a lot of work by our volunteer staff, the car was restored to match the Fort Oglethorpe, also at SARM. Both cars made it to Southern and both wore the standard (by that time) Southern black roof and monogram. And both retained their names. They are very noticeable in Southern passenger train pictures because of their skirts.

In another note, the building in the background is a gaseous diffusion enrichment facility to produce bomb-grade material. It was torn down several years ago, along with most of the buildings at the former K-25 facility.

Kevin

On Aug 7, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Ed Mims <wemims@...> wrote:

Ed, Thanks for the photo. I have not seen this and was not aware that the car kept its name and number into the Southern era. The 54-seat Budd coaches were very nice cars. Thank you very much.

Ed Mims