locked Re: Low side gons

A&Y Dave in MD

I am a 1/87 scale modeler.

The problem with Speedwitch kits is that they aren't making any (Ted has a full time job in NY and I don't want to wish him to be unemployed again, even if it would mean more kits).

I only have one of each, and the kit boxes read 1937 and 1938 build dates.  I have no idea what keeps them from being used for earlier versions, but I am guessing it is "cast in" to the kit body, not just a detail, or the box would claim the cars go back to the earliest build dates of '24.   I'll have to get them out and see if I can compare to the photos on the Duke University construction archive (there are several SOU low side gons from late '20s era in that archive--the only photos from the era I've seen except for the one fuzzy one in the Southern Railway Handbook).

Dave

The question is scale. Jim King knows that my interest is S, presumably David and Dan are HO and Jim has re-entered the O-scale market.

Jack Wyatt

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 02:14:04 PM EDT, Dan Miller <danieljmiller@...> wrote:

I'll add to Jack and Dave's interest in an un-rebuilt gon kit.

Dan Miller

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 10:35 AM A&Y Dave in MD <
dbott@...> wrote:

Jack has a more direct way of getting to the point...so I’ll follow his lead:

Anything for 1934?

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Aug 7, 2019, at 12:40 PM, C J Wyatt <
cjwyatt@...> wrote:

Any hope of producing a kit of the un-rebuilt  car?

Jack

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 12:32:05 PM EDT, Jim King <
jimking3@...> wrote:

Not all 9-ribbers were rebuilt in 1945; some lasted as-built well into the 60s based on photos.

Jim King
www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

--
Jim King