locked Re: Low side gons

Jim King

Dave … I have a few pix of 9-rib gons; 2 show 1938 and 1941 built dates.  It’s been a LONG time since I researched the 11-rib gon (when I produced the HO kit in 2006) so don’t know if ALL of the 1924-blt 9-ribbed cars were rebuilt to 11 ribs in 1945.  The 9-ribbed car had unique ends … just a flat plate with 2 formed horizontal ribs.  I’ve photographed 11-rib gons in MOW service that clearly show a 1924 build date despite having the 1945 Dreadnaught + darts end.  No mention of 1945 on those cars.  As with all modeling, it’s best to find photos to verify what you want … drawings and “lists” tend to get forgotten during updating, especially when the cars are moved to MOW service.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com