locked ICC record interpretation help

A&Y Dave in MD

A&Y, Southern, and ICC Valuation Fans,

Can someone familiar with the ICC valuation records help me interpret the attached pages from an engineers' notebook?

These images are of pages from the engineers' notebook describing and valuing bridges and trestles. It came from Box 3386 in the ICC Valuation Records at the National Archives in College Park.  This portion refers to the CF line in Greensboro around mileposts 67-68.  I have the entire set of pages for Valuations Sections 27 (CF line Mt.Airy to Sanford), 27a (SM line Stokesdale to Madison branch) and 27b (CR line Climax to Ramseur Branch) for bridges, for buildings, and for land/right of way.  I'm trying to convert the bridges/trestles pages into a database in Excel to enhance the information I have from the 1912 track chart for the A&Y.  I want each row of the database to describe a single bridge or trestle.  I need help understanding the way the engineer laid out his notes.

  I think the original  "form 519" printed on the page of the notebook was designed to cover one bridge or trestle per page.  But it looks like the blue pencil lines indicate where the engineer added a new entries so that he could use up the whole page.  Only the info in the printed form below the owner info (i.e., kind of structure, name, location) was not repeated for each entry.  So, I'm not sure how many trestles are represented.  It looks like six different ones on two pages, but the maps I have don't show nearly that many (or I'm just not looking far enough because I'm misreading the scale of the Sanborn map).  Any help interpreting the Valuation trestle notes would be appreciated:

On the first page of the "Example-Pages-from-NARA..." file, you see the form itself refers to
Kind of Structure:  Frame Trestle
Name: W.A. Watson Roller Mills
Location: M.P. 68.4                        Length: 18'-04"

and then there is no header for the details (beginning with "Footplank...Metal")

Then there appears to be a header on top of the first blue line:
"Frame Trestle M.P. 68.4.   1 span 12' long"
and then details (e.g., caps, posts, sills...Metal) below the blue line.

Then there appears to be a new header again on a blue line:
"Frame Trestle   M.P. 68.1.   1 span 11'-04" long"
and then details (e.g., caps, posts, sills...GUARDS in blue) below the blue line

Is that THREE trestles (MP 68.4 on the CF line at Watson Roller Mills, MP 68.4,  and MP 68.1)?

On the second page, you see the form itself refers to
Kind of Structure:  Frame Trestles
Name: ____________
Location: M 68.0                        Length: 22'-00"

and then there is no header for the details (beginning with "Guard...")

Then there appears to be a header on top of the first blue line:
"Frame Trestle M.P. 68.0.  Spur left to Industry   1 span 10' long"
and then details (e.g., stringers, caps, sills, etc.) below the blue line.

Then there appears to be a new header again on a blue line:
"Frame Trestle Spur left to Industry  M.P. 67.8.   4 spans 46'-06" long"
and then details (e.g., guard, stringers, caps, etc.) below the blue line

Is that THREE trestles (MP 68.0 on the CF line, MP 68.0 on spur left to industry, and MP 67.8 on a different spur left to an industry)?

Is there anyone on this list with engineering or valuation experience who can help me figure out if I'm interpreting this right?  The mileposts should be located in Greensboro, somewhere south of the Furnace Branch junction and north of West Market Street Crossing, if that helps those of you who know Greensboro.  I've  attached an image from a 1943 detailed map of Greensboro in the vicinity that Marvin Black let me photograph.  I think that unnamed spur might be the "spur to the left" referred to in the notes.  A 1925 Sanborn map of Greensboro contains Prescott street, and I believe  the "trestles" referred to in the engineering record include the one over the "Brook" (which becomes North Buffalo Creek)  between AK Moore and Greensboro Building Supplies spurs, and then one more up above on the spur up to Lassiter Construction.  But that's only TWO, not SIX.  And I cannot find a "Watson Roller Mills" on the Sanborn map (either this 1925 or even on an earlier 1919 version).

So what am I missing?

Dave

--

Sent from David Bott's desktop pc