locked Re: Removing mold from a railroad print

A&Y Dave in MD

Are the photos dry? If not, dry them thoroughly as you can in cold dark dry location—air conditioned room helps, but a dry freezer is even better.  Then see if mold turns to powder that can be brushed off gently with soft brush or lint-free, e.g., microfiber, cloth.

If that does not work, you could test small section with dilute white vinegar (to kill mold with acid but dilute with water to protect image). The less you apply (like through spray mist bottle) the better.  Gently blot, and then ‘freeze dry’ and brush off as above.

There are other more sophisticated ways used by restoration archivists, but I have not tried them. The above worked on some photos that got a bit of mold from moisture after my house fire and were not sent out to be restored professionally
(and covered by insurance!). They are not returned to perfection, but were ‘good enough’ for my needs.

I can check with my friend who restores books and photos at Michigan State archives if you need more aggressive techniques.

Dave

On Aug 26, 2019, at 4:40 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

I found an old print of a Southern Locomotive that I have had for years and it has some light brown mold on it.
Does anyone know how to remove the mold without damaging the print?
Fenton Wells