locked Re: Help Please -- Goldsboro Union Station & Modernized Coaches

Bill Schafer

IIRC, the coaches (I think there were two) assigned to trains 7-8 during the Amtrak limbo were modernized heavyweight single vestibule cars, each equipped with the “food service” required on these trains - a vending machine.

My guess is that between 1971 and 1975, there was little to no variance on the cars used in this service.

—Bill

On Oct 14, 2019, at 12:31 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question whether the 52 seat single vestibule cars ran in those train, maybe Bill Schafer would know.  However, it is a good possibility as these cars ran all over the system.
As far as the interior of the cars I can' tell you the colors of the interiors when built although I do have a copy of a color chart that lists but does not show the colors. from the SRHA files from when I was doing a book on these cars.  It's hard to read as my copy is small but it's the best I can do.  I do have photos of the car interiors that I took but they would not be as built.  Probably from the late 1950's or 1960's reshopping.
I hope this helps,
Fenton

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 9:17 PM bjarne@... <bjarne@...> wrote:
Gents:

I need your help please on two issues:

(1)  Does anyone remember what magazine had the article on Goldsboro Union Station?  Was it a SRR HS magazine or one of the ACL/SAL/SCL ones.  I thought I had clipped the article but now cant find it.

(2)  Does anyone know if there is an article on the SRR heavyweight single vestibule coaches rebuilt from Pullmans and used on Train 7-8 between Washington & Lynchburg and the Piedmont? I have the car sides from USP, the roof and a basic body kit from Branchline  -- and now need to be able to accurately install all of the "stuff" underneath the car in its proper order and paint the interior (which IIRC was in tones of grey?).

Thanks for your guidance.  I hope to write an article on this project -- sincerely,

/s/ Bjarne

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd