locked Re: Southern SD-45's

James

I appreciate all the answers so far and welcome more info on this item.   After looking at pictures after posting, I think the ATS equipment box is the answer.  On all SD35 and SD45’s I find this “box” on there is an ATS shoe on both sides of the truck in the short hood end.  Also I have not known Southern to carry spare knuckles was this a Southern practice?

On Nov 17, 2019, at 3:30 PM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

>I think the extension was a box to put an extra knuckle.

Perhaps, but it seems a little narrow and way too deep to hold a knuckle.  It would be very awkward trying to lift one out.

I think it holds ATS equipment.  Notice the hinges on the outer edge and how tightly the lid seats.  No evidence of being scraped while extracting a knuckle.

Perhaps the answer is in the archives.....

My $.02

Scott Chatfield

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC