locked Re: F-Unit Roof Hatches

D. Scott Chatfield

I gave it a little more thought and I wonder if these were former roof-hung water tanks filled with concrete to add weight.  I don't have an old Locomotive Summary book (my oldest is from 1975, and she was retired in 1973) so I can't look up 4260's weight.  But if that box is full of concrete it should add about 10 to 11,000 pounds to the engine, assuming it extends down into the carbody about a foot.  Any deeper and it would interfere with the doorway.

A normal F-unit weighed between 230,000 and 240,000 pounds.  Was 4260 heavier?

Scott Chatfield